Date: 3/4/17 5:54 pm
From: Tom SHANE <tom.shane...>
Subject: Say's Phoebe FOS and our largest flock of Cinnamon Teal
Sara and I made a short bird drive over to Kearny County this afternoon, 4 March 2017. Arriving at the Sheep Farm below Lake McKinney we found a fairly early Say's Phoebe sallying from some fence posts, it was 75 F. Above the dam we found the water level of the lake at near capacity. Duck numbers were very low. We flushed a small flock of teal from a pond below and adjacent to the SE corner of the dam. I could see there were several Cinnamon Teal as they flew north landing on the lake. I scoped the group and found five male Cinnamon Teal. That is the largest flock of Cinnamon Teal I have ever seen in Kansas. Penner. 2009. Birds of Cheyenne Bottoms shows a high count of 25 for CB; however I assume that was an all day count and not one flock. There were still about 4,000 Snow Geese at Deerfield Feeders on the Kearny County side. Hawk numbers were low with: 1-Kestrel, 7-Harriers, 4-Red-tails, and 1-Ferruginous.
Tom Shane
Garden City

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to