Date: 3/4/17 4:50 pm
From: <jacksonwrxt89...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Great Gray Owl & More
Thank you Amanda Kallenbach for getting the word out after my phone died, but the GREAT GRAY OWL again made an appearance tonight in the Oak Street fields in Newport around 5:30pm. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of birders gave up after fighting through the extreme cold of the day in an attempt to see the bird. My sympathies to you all.
That being said, it appears that late afternoon is the most reliable time to see this bird unless it's found in its daytime roost. It also seems that like last Thursday, the high winds may have driven it to a more secluded roost where, like today, it went undetected until the late evening.
Very happy for the folks that stuck it out and even happier I could get at least one late-comer on the bird before night set it. I hope milder weather tomorrow might make it easier to find. The following are a few pictures I got tonight.
https://flic.kr/p/S5A6Rh
https://flic.kr/p/S5A6R7

Also on sight was a continuing adult NORTHERN SHRIKE, a flyover call from a HORNED LARK and a distant visual of a small species of Falcon. Unfortunately, I only saw it briefly against the sunset and it appeared only as a silhouette, so I don't know what species it was.
Shrike: https://flic.kr/p/S5A6QW

The BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS are also continuing around the Newport/County Road intersection in New London. I estimated that numbers were around 300 today. Beautiful lighting for photos too.
https://flic.kr/p/S5A6QA

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee

Sent from my iPhone