Date: 3/4/17 4:23 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Hummingbird in Northampton/ GONE !
Thanks to Tom Gagnon (with permission) for the following report.

Barbara Volkle

Northborough, MA

<barb620...>

*
Hi Folks:
Just got back from vacation earlier this week. Lots of messages
on my telephone and only 1,001 emails mostly from Massbird. POOR
BARBARA !!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the messages on the phone was about a
hummingbird coming to a feeder in the Northampton area. The person
reported the hummingbird is not a hard core birder like most of us and
did not realize that a hummingbird this early COULD be something really
RARE. The bird was first seen on FEBRUARY 17th rubbing it's bill on
the SUET !!! The next day the other occupant of the house-hold saw it
and put out a hummingbird feeder and it was seen going to the feeder.
Both persons in the house work so it was not seen again until last
weekend I believe, February 25 and 26th. It has NOT been seen
since. I tried on Thursday, March 2 with no luck. As I was typing
this email the person who first reported it called me. One of the
people in the house had good looks at the bird and when shown the
picture in the bird book confirmed that the bird was RUSTY colored !!!!
So, I believe we can at least call it a "Selasphorus' for the records.
Certainly does make one wonder how many of these rarities get
past us. After the bittern cold and wind we have had today, I doubt
that this bird is still alive. The other interesting thing about this
report is that bird was seen going to the suet. I have never head of
such behavior in hummingbirds.
Tom Gagnon, Florence, Massachusetts

Join us on Facebook!