Date: 3/4/17 3:29 pm
From: Richard Tucker <rickt...>
Subject: Labette County birds
Each year I am surprised that Turkey Vultures are seen in more northern
counties than Labette before I see any. I believe they migrate from the
south and you do not have to go too far south in the winter to see them.

I heard and then saw a pair of E. Phoebes today (first heard yesterday,
March 3) They were looking for a place under our soffit to build their mud
nest.

There were approximately 100 ducks in three groups on a rock quarry near my
farm this afternoon. Mostly Ring Necks with a handful of American Widgeon
and three Red Heads.

On Feb 20, I saw a Horned Grebe in winter plumage on Big Hill at the main
launch ramp. I tried to make an Earred Grebe out of it but after looking at
the picture I took and further study I am sure it was a Horned. That gave
me all three grebes in Labette County.

Rick Tucker

Parsons

Labette County