Date: 3/4/17 12:34 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake County-Waukegan, North Pt Marina, Spring Bluff & Independence Grove Sat 3-4-17
Hello Bird People,

Although I have been having trouble finding birds in N.E. Lake County
I saw that Black Scoter &
R.T. Loon were seen there in the last few days so I thought I'd try
again along with Bob Erickson.
Bob arrived early & said the only birds at Waukegan Beach were R.B.
Mergs so we switched to Waukegan Harbor as our starting point.

Waukegan Harbor (7:10-7:50 a.m.)

Horned Grebe (5, no shortage of these)
Canada Goose (9)
Goldeneye (3)
Common Merganser (~15)
Red Breasted Merganser (45, wins the Waukegan duck count contest for today)
Ring Billed (~25) & Herring (~15) Gulls

A quick drive through at the South Unit of Illinois Beach found only
Canada Geese & Red Wings.
A quick drive through at the North Unit of Illinois Beach found no birds at all!

North Point Marina (8:45-10 a.m.)

Horned Grebe (1)
Canada Goose (4)
Gadwall (5)
Redhead (8, wins the Marina duck count contest of ducks WITHIN the harbor)
Bufflehead (1-M)
Goldeneye (3-F)
Red Breasted Merganser (4-F in the harbor & 10 more in Lake Michigan)
Ring Billed Gull (12)
Herring Gull (~300, 1st time all Winter I've seen this many at this location)
LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL (1-AD, 1st of the year for Bob & I)
(This Gull was blocked from our view by Herring Gulls but thanks to
another birder who saw the Gull from another side we knew it was there
& we kept looking until the Gulls moved & Bob found
it & then we had good scope views. Thanks go to the other birder!)

Spring Bluff F.P. (10:05-10:35 a.m.)(Viewed from the main entrance
road & the gated service road)

Canada Goose (8)
Mallard (20-25)
NORTHERN PINTAIL (1-PR)
Northern Shoveler (5-M & 2-F)

On my way home by myself I stopped at Independence Grove where I found
few ducks & a
great deal of strong wind!

Canada Goose (16)
Goldeneye (groups of 5 & 2)
HOODED MERGANSER (1 fancy looking male)
Red Breasted Merganser (3-M)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-AD soaring above)
Ring Billed (53) & Herring (23) Gulls

On my homeward drive on the Tri-State Tollway I saw a Turkey Vulture
while still in Lake County.

Bird-Of-The-Day for Bob & I goes to the adult Lesser Black Backed Gull &
Runner-Up to the Pintail pair. Bob also saw a Northern Harrier on the
way out of Illinois Beach but I did not.

Al Stokie
In Lake County today.

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: