Date: 3/4/17 11:33 am
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Brig Canvasback Study
Brig Canvasback Study

I was late getting to Brig this morning cuz I was so caught up looking at Harvey T’s Dowitcher photos (ID’ed as Longbilled) on his Flickr. Embarrassing to admit, but as an armchair-internet birder that I am, I also spent several hours last night comparing his photos to SurfBirds.com articles on Dowitcher ID. I have no clue how the experts came to the longbilled conclusion.

I was also so intrigued by the reported hybrid Canvasback X Redhead on 2-26. I had another shot at finding that hybrid today, however, I could not convince myself that found it. Ebird report did not mentioned the sex of the hybrid. Regardless, for that reason, I felt like I was just taking up space at the Brig Dike Drive, when the place may be reserved for better birders than I.

Although many reports of Canvasback have been reported recently, there is no record of Redhead mixed in with Canvasback this year. For reasons mentioned here, I posted a few photos of an interesting duck (to me that is) on my Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56086564@N04/

Yong Kong
Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>