Date: 3/4/17 11:09 am
From: Lisa Myers <lisa...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Birding La Rinconada Park in Los Gatos
Hi All -

I did the Los Gatos Birdwatcher Saturday morning bird walk today over at La Rinconada Park in Los Gatos. We were there from 8 - 10 am. The woodpeckers were out in force; foraging, drumming, chipping and calling. We had several RED-SHAFTED NORTHERN FLICKERS both male & female throughout our walk. We also had a RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER and a female DOWNY WOODPECKER. NUTTAL’S and ACORN WOODPECKERS were also here.

We had great views of a pair of obliging SPOTTED TOWHEES and also had CALIFORNIA TOWHEES. While there were no crown sparrows, but we did have one FOX SPARROW and DARK-EYED JUNCOS along the trail.

We had fantastic views of a HERMIT THRUSH eating along the creek and found a 2nd HERMIT farther up stream before we left. We also had WESTERN BLUEBiRDS and AMERICAN ROBINS.

The smallest of birds included both a HUTTON’S VIREO & a RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET. While the CEDAR WAXWING’S could be heard above in numbers, we only spotted one BUSHTIT. We heard BEWICK’S WREN singing all morning and found a pair gathering nesting material. OAK TITMICE were “singing” all morning.

A pair of CALIFORNIA SCRUB JAY’S were also gathering nesting material.

We had a fly over RED-SHOULDERED HAWK and COOPER’S HAWK.

They have cleared out the ground cover along the creek and made brush piles on the side of the trail. I hope they leave the brush piles alone until after the breeding season. They looked like great places for some birds to nest.

Lisa Myers

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: