Date: 3/4/17 8:26 am
From: Linda Sullivan <herons4me...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Ed Levin Park
Good morning birders,

Just a note that yesterday I birded ed levin from noon till 2:30. At sandy wool lake I had lots of CORMORANTS, RUDDY DUCKS and one lone AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN.

I had a chance to speak with a park maintenance person and we were talking about the GREAT BLUE HERON nesting at the dog park... I had the opportunity to view the nest and take pictures of the male bringing twigs to the female. We know that herons bring twigs to the nest twice during nesting time. First time it to bond and chose a mate, mating begins (twig transfer ceremony) and the second time the male will bring twigs to the female is when chicks are born. I did not hear peeps or see any shells under the nest. Since I bird ed Levin almost weekly I will keep an eye on this one nest.

On another note, my partner lives at the base of Ed Levin and he had a male RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD at his feeder this morning.

Wishing you a great birding weekend.

Linda sullivan
Los Gatos
UPDATE on the Vasona colony. we have one pair nesting with the female incubating. I believe that the Vasona colony got a late start in starting to nest this year. During the last storm we lost three trees and one is still leaning inside the grove. My fear is that it will take out the nest being use this year.

Sent from my iPad

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: