Date: 3/4/17 8:17 am
From: Janine Perlman <jpandjf...>
Subject: Re: Lead
In my opinion, virtually all issues pertaining to wildlife and the
environment are tragedies of the common.

What, indeed, _are_ we to do about the relative few who would dirty our
air, pollute our water, and destroy habitat, in Arkansas and elsewhere,
at great cost to the many (including the birds of Arkansas)? To say
it's not political is to avoid speaking of the elephant in the room.

We can as individuals make small contributions to change---by donating
to organizations, writing/calling/visiting with our elected officials,
using less and renewable energy, eating plant-based diets, and more.
People of conscience should assuredly do all those things. But the only
way to effect real change---change that makes a clear difference---is to
elect officials who will enact laws that*, *yes, *regulate* activities
that affect us all.

Conservatives used to be conservationists. Some still are. Conservative
vs. liberal may not be useful labels, and they're inflammatory these
days. But political activism is very useful; and electing people who
represent our real interests is our only real hope.

It's hard to imagine anyone making the argument that our current state
and federal administrations prioritize the protecting/improving the
environment, for wildlife or humans.

Janine Perlman
Alexander

On 3/4/2017 9:32 AM, Than Boves wrote:
> Too bad there isn't a constitutional amendment that states that wildlife and the environment (and humans) have the right to bear no lead (and an ideological lobbying group that supports this amendment with religious fervor).

> Than J. Boves
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Biological Sciences
> Arkansas State University, Jonesboro, AR

Join us on Facebook!