Date: 3/4/17 4:52 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: NWAAS field trip to Shores Lake-Fern, Ozark NF, March 18
Next Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society field trip is Saturday March 18, 2017. We’re birding in mature shortleaf pine habitat in the Shores Lake area of Ozark National Forest and adjacent Fern community. Meet at 9 AM at the Shores Lake picnic area, entrance on the west side of the lake. Trip leader Bill Beall has studied birds in western Arkansas for six decades. With our recent past president Doug James, Bill is our most experienced observer. We will be especially on the look-out for Brown-headed Nuthatches and other birds typical of pine forests.

We expect many singing Pine Warblers and hopefully some of the early spring migrants and wildflowers. You can show up earlier if you wish. We will car pool or caravan from Fayetteville if anyone is interested. For more information, 479-521-1858.

We will probably wrap up this part of the day by noon. For those interested, after Shores Lake-Fern, we’ll head down to the Arkansas River Valley, including Frog Bayou WMA including a hunt for Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks near Alma sewer ponds (it may be a little early for this one, but …).

If in the unlikely event of very heavy rain predicted for Saturday, a cancellation notice will be posted by Friday evening on the NWAAS facebook page. Please feel free to call me Friday night if needed.

Shores Lake is just north of Mulberry. More information and directions for Shores Lake-Fern is available on the NWAAS website. Try this page: http://www.nwarkaudubon.org/placestobird.htm and check out the Shores Lake guide. There is also a guide for Frog. As is the case on all of our field trips, you are welcome to come for as much or as little as you want.

Only thing on the "ballot" for NWAAS field trip is birding. I certainly have strong feelings about what's right and what's wrong in terms of politics, and express my thoughts openly – and hopefully respectfully -- but birding for me, and life generally-speaking, is not Conservative or Liberal, Left or Right, Democrat or Republican. It is birds. I voted many years ago for (1) birds, (2) bird conservation, and (3) recognition that Earth belongs to all creatures, not just people. These beliefs provide vital compass for me, not how anyone votes. Everyone is welcome.

Join us on Facebook!