Date: 3/3/17 8:22 pm
From: David Nickerson <davidnickerson...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Coyote Valley: Lesser Yellowlegs, Owl box removed
All,

I followed up on Ryan Phillips' report from 3/1 and found a LESSER YELLOWLEGS among 13 GREATER YELLOWLEGS in the channel near the Gavilan College extension on Bailey Ave. This is the same general area where the Canada Geese hang out (although there were only 2 there today). Also, I saw that the owl box on the north/east side of Laguna Ave. has been removed. I'm wondering if anyone knows why it was taken down. There was a Barn Owl using it as recently as 3 weeks ago.

It was a rather strange afternoon in Coyote Valley. Many of the 'regulars' were nowhere to be found. I did not see a single Turkey Vulture, White-tailed Kite, Yellow-billed Magpie, Say's Phoebe, Loggerhead Shrike, Great Egret, Great Blue Heron or Savannah Sparrow. Actually, no sparrows of any kind. The only raptors were a pair of Red-tailed Hawks and a Northern Harrier. Making up for this was the presence of a BURROWING OWL on Laguna Ave., WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS flying above the Bailey overpass, 2 TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS near the flooded fields on Bailey/Santa Teresa, and a ROCK WREN in the OSP parking lot.

Later in the day I stopped by the Stile Ranch Trail entrance to Santa Teresa Park and found 2 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS and 2 RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROWS in the coyote brush along the trail.

Good birding everyone,

David Nickerson
San Jose

<*> Your email settings: