Date: 3/3/17 6:45 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqvr...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Ed Levin Park 3/3
I spent some time exploring out beyond Milpitas at Ed Levin Park and along Marsh road today. Please note that Calaveras is closed between Evans (the bottom of the hill) and Downing, evidently due to rain damage, and they’re routing you through a detour on old Calaveras for now. My visit started around 12:30 for a couple of hours.

Spring Valley was pretty quiet, with some scaup on the pond, some double crested cormorants sunning themselves and a block of red-winged blackbirds bellowing. okay, not so quiet, but not a lot of birding diversity.

Marsh road was equally not terribly birdy either, but I did see some magpies, two kestrels, and three bluebird pairs at the stream near the end of the road, and four more in the trees near Felter.

Sandy Wool had a lot of birds in it, including some more scaups, one eared grebe, a bunch of cormorants, some northern shovelers, Ruddy Ducks, mallards and a good number of Buffleheads (which seems different for this place, but likely the increased water depth). Most notable was in the parking lot that overlooks the lake from above on the south, where there’s a downed tree into the lake (sigh) but the tree next to it was hosting a few more bluebirds, a say’s phoebe, two black phoebes, and 20-25 tree swallows, all in a loose flock with some hunting the water and some exploring nesting areas (and occasionally arguing about them). Also along the road out I ran into a largish flock of about 15 Yellow Rumps, some now in breeding colors foraging on the fence, which also seemed to have two “other” birds I never got a good look at.

I did think of hauling out the camera for the swallows, then decided to just enjoy watching them….

Chuq Von Rospach - http://www.chuqui.com
Email: <chuqvr...>
Twitter: @chuq
Silicon Valley, California