Date: 3/3/17 3:56 pm
From: Al Eisner <eisner...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SBB] A Report On Charleston Road Marsh
On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Adam Winer <awiner...> [south-bay-birds] wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 11:49 AM <Vanslagerf...> [south-bay-birds] <
> <south-bay-birds-noreply...> wrote:
>>
>> All:
>>
>> At about 8 AM on 3/3/17, I decided to visit Charleston Road Marsh since I
>> haven't been there is quite a while. I started at the eastern end
>> sump-pump (near Charleston Rd and Shorebird Way) and did a clockwise loop
>> west to Shoreline Blvd and back. It was fairly birdy with many sparrows
>> and both goldfinches, but quiet. An exception was a close Fox Sparrow who
>> did a long whisper-song, in contrast to the joyful outburst I usually hear
>> at Glacier Point. I think, time-wise, we are very close to the spring-sing.
>>
>> I had not heard that the marsh was undergoing an extensive, and
>> not-yet-quite-finished, renovation. The trail has been completely redone
>> into a sandy path, with a relatively open area between it and the reeds.
>
> ... an open area yes, but with quite a lot of young plantings (natives as
> best I can tell).
>
> I'm optimistic that if the plantings grow in well, the quality of habitat
> will be significantly improved. I don't know if the birding will be
> improved, since you're set back further from the marsh (except for the
> decks and bridges).
>
> -- Adam Winer

Coincidentally, I visited yesterday for my first time since the work
began. A lot of good vegetation (including various exotic conifers
and hedges and pretty much all berry-bearing shrubs) has been removed,
and the species variety and birding experience was not as good as it
once was. The open area is also a problem, but it mainly affects (for
now) the southeast quadrant, and the new plantings may help. One
concern I have is whether the two new bridges across the marsh will
lessen the attractiveness of the area to some birds (impeding their
motion along the marsh, for example).

Al Eisner

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional