Date: 3/3/17 3:23 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: IBET Ross's Goose Lincoln Park Lagoon
I was viewing Andrew's photos. I will be using one in Illinois's ornithological journal, the Meadowlark... as a typical hybrid Ross's X Snow Goose. Ross's Geese basically do not even have a grin patch, at least nothing remotely comparable to a Snow Goose grin patch. This bird also does not have the typical bluish bill coloration at the base of the bill that Ross's Geese have. If you have a Sibley bird field guide, there is a side bar (on page 79 of my older Sibley) that shows a typical Ross's and the two typical subspecies of Snow Goose along with a typical hybrid. The photo of Andrews that I viewed looks very much like the hybrid in Sibley's field guide.

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...>

Join us on Facebook!