Date: 3/3/17 2:52 pm
From: Stuart Malcolm <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender stuart.malcolm26 for DMARC)
Subject: [wisb] The January Winnebago County Franklin's Gull wasn't a Franklin's Gull.
Hi All,
I know a number of people saw the reported Franklin's Gull that was seen from late December and then throughout January on Little Lake Butte de Morts in Winnebago County. This bird was reviewed with much discussion at the highest echelons of ebird and it has been shown that it was a first cycle Laughing Gull instead. As someone who saw the bird several times I'll be the first to say that I totally missed this, but after reviewing all the photos and checking the literature it was definetly a Laughing Gull not a Franklin's. Please change your ebird or other lists to reflect this, and also note that Laughing Gull is a WSO review species away from Lake Michigan.
Although this bird hasn't been recorded for a month I suspect it is probably still in the area, there are still thousands of gulls around but the opening up of Lake Winnebago has moved the majority of them out of scope range.
You never stop learning about birds!
Stuart MalcolmNeenah, Winnebago Cty
Ebird Reviewer for Winnebago County