Date: 3/3/17 2:07 pm
From: Steve Hosmer <sjhosmer...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CEAZ: Herring Gull & Franklin's Gull at Lake Pleasant (Yavapai Co.)
This morning I went to Lake Pleasant to look for gulls and mergansers. Along
the extreme north shore of Two Cow Cove (Maricopa Co.) I had distant scope
views of the female Red-breasted Merganser that had been reported from this
same location yesterday by Wayne Weber. It was too far away for me to get
diagnostic photos of it, however.

At Lake Pleasant by the Castle Creek Four Lane Boat Ramp area (Yavapai Co.), I
was looking mainly for gulls. At Fireman's Cove (on the right, just before
you reach the boat ramp parking area and the construction area) I saw a large
congregation of Ring-billed Gulls and a first winter Herring Gull (photos
posted in my eBird checklist). While there I watched an adult breeding
plumage Franklin's Gull fly in and land among the Ring-billed Gulls on a small
spit. I was able to get good photos (posted in my eBird checklist). Of
interest regarding the Franklin's Gull … it appears to be an adult in breeding
plumage, with a full solid black hood, but when seen in flight, and when
standing on the ground, there is very little white at the wing tips. The wing
tips are almost solid black, without the bold white markings I would expect to
see - almost like that of a Laughing Gull. The area of black at the wing tips
did not appear to be extensive enough, and the bill did not appear to be long
enough to be a Laughing Gull, however.

Take care and good birding.

Steve Hosmer
Anthem, AZ