Date: 3/3/17 1:02 pm
From: Kyle Wilmarth <kyle.wilmarth...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Mew thoughts / Rockingham park area
I too have tried several times since Wednesday and have come up empty.
Yesterday at 8:15ish, 11:30, and 3pm yielded no Mew. Likewise, today on 2
drivebys I did not have any gulls in that lot...ugh. Most were near Target.

Just wanted to throw some more info out there on the Mew and other
potential spots in the area...

I believe someone feeds them here every so often, and now that Rockingham
Park is closed off (which is where they used to gather mid-day), this seems
to be where they go to feed them. Other places to look nearby:

Retail/Fast food joints: Target roof, JC Penney roof, Market Basket(s),
McDonalds, BK, plaza with Kohl's and Bob's Store across the street.

Canobie Lake, many gulls here daily but not the easiest viewing, scope
likely required.

Hedgehog Pond - the landfill next door brings in many gulls and you can
sometimes catch them sitting on the water (if there aren't many people
around). Also check the roof at The Icenter across the street.

The gulls tend to hang out on rooftops if they aren't on the wing or at the
parking lot, so any group of Ring-bills on a roof should be carefully
looked through.

It's a weird place to go birding....but we've had some pretty impressive
stuff considering the area...here are a few that come to mind:

Northern Wheatear (as Steve mentioned, which unfortunately was before I
began birding, doh!)
Snow Goose
Clay-colored Sparrow
American Woodcock
Wilson's Snipe
Gadwall
Bohemian Waxwing
Pine Grosbeak
Common Redpoll
Glaucous Gull
Iceland Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Snow Bunting
Horned Lark
Peregrine Falcon
American Kestrel
Rough-legged Hawk (just south of Exit 1 nearby, Amanda only)
Black-bellied Plover (the only place I've had one in town was at the pond
in the middle of the racetrack!)
Osprey nest (in the middle RHP parking lot on a light tower - still intact)

It will be interesting to see what happens when this new "village" replaces
the old racetrack area, but considering all the other retail crap in Salem
already, perhaps it won't matter much...

Kyle Wilmarth
Plaistow, NH