Date: 3/3/17 12:03 pm
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Cheyenne Audubon Mar. 21 lecture: plumage color and birds of prey
Hello Wyobirders,
The March Cheyenne - High Plains Audubon Society lecture will feature the plumage variation of birds of prey, including our local species. Guest speaker Elizabeth Wommack is staff curator and manager of vertebrates for the University of Wyoming Museum of Vertebrates.
The lecture is 7 p.m., March 21, in the Cottonwood Room of the Laramie County Public Library, 2200 Pioneer Ave. See https://cheyenneaudubon.wordpress.com/ for more information or call Mark, 307-287-4953.
Wommack received her PhD at UC Berkeley, where she wrote her dissertation on the range and use of plumage variation in the American Kestrel.
Birds of prey display highly varied color and patterns of plumage. From Gyrfalcons in the artic to Black Sparrowhawks in Africa, diversification in plumage is a common feature for many hawks, falcons, and owls. Come explore the range of plumage variation across these groups, delve into research on color variability in raptors, and learn about local highly variable species.
Thanks,
Barb
P.S. The no-host dinner with Elizabeth will be at 5 p.m. at The Albany, 1506 Capitol. Please call me, 307-634-0463, if you plan to join us.

Join us on Facebook!