Date: 3/3/17 11:53 am
From: Adam Winer <awiner...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SBB] A Report On Charleston Road Marsh
On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 11:49 AM <Vanslagerf...> [south-bay-birds] <
<south-bay-birds-noreply...> wrote:

> All:
>
> At about 8 AM on 3/3/17, I decided to visit Charleston Road Marsh since I
> haven't been there is quite a while. I started at the eastern end
> sump-pump (near Charleston Rd and Shorebird Way) and did a clockwise loop
> west to Shoreline Blvd and back. It was fairly birdy with many sparrows
> and both goldfinches, but quiet. An exception was a close Fox Sparrow who
> did a long whisper-song, in contrast to the joyful outburst I usually hear
> at Glacier Point. I think, time-wise, we are very close to the spring-sing.
>
> I had not heard that the marsh was undergoing an extensive, and
> not-yet-quite-finished, renovation. The trail has been completely redone
> into a sandy path, with a relatively open area between it and the reeds.

... an open area yes, but with quite a lot of young plantings (natives as
best I can tell).

I'm optimistic that if the plantings grow in well, the quality of habitat
will be significantly improved. I don't know if the birding will be
improved, since you're set back further from the marsh (except for the
decks and bridges).

-- Adam Winer

There are now 2 new observation decks and 2 new metal bridges across the
> marsh.
>
> Frank Vanslager

Join us on Facebook!