Date: 3/3/17 11:23 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County-Chevalier Woods & Another Quick Stop At Lake Opeka Friday 3-3-17
Hello Bird People,

I have pretty much stayed close to home all week to give my car a rest
& because of that I have not seen much in the interesting bird
department. As I am getting a little tired of seeing the same ducks
everywhere I go I decided to switch to a land bird search & to do so I
walked along the Des Plaines River. So instead of seeing the same
ducks over & over I saw the same land birds I have been seeing all
Winter. Can't rush the seasons I guess. Here's my day list:

Chevalier Woods (8:30-10:30 a.m.)

The D.P. River is rather high & so parts of the trail close to that
river are blocked by high water although I still did parts of that
trail where I could access it. Still it might as well have been a
Winter visit in January as far as what birds I saw.

Canada Goose (2 in the river)
Mallard (22 in the river)
TURKEY VULTURE (1 soaring overhead)
Red Tailed Hawk (2 but not together)
Herring Gull (1 flying along the river)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (7-8)
Downy Woodpecker (3)
Blue Jay (2 seen & another 1 heard)
Chickadee (10-11)
W.B. Nuthatch (5)
BROWN CREEPER (1)
Robins (12-14)
Cardinal (5 singing males plus 1 pair together for a total of 7)
Song Sparrow (1 singing but not seen)
Junco (14 in 2 groups)
Goldfinch (heard 2 calling in flight)

The only certain migrant above would be the Turkey Vulture as both the
Creeper & Song Sparrow have been seen here all Winter.

Lake Opeka In Des Plaines (11:15-11:35 a.m.)

Horned Grebe (1 with red coming in on the neck)
(Yesterday's P.B. Grebe was not seen by me today)
Canada Goose (26)
Mallard (12)
Ring Billed Gull (52)
Herring Gull (1-AD)
House Sparrow (5-6)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Brown Creeper & Runner-Up to the soaring Turkey Vulture.
While my luck with birds was not good today I did have good luck at
Culver's for lunch as when I ordered my choice I found it was on sale
for less than the usual price. A victory of sorts!

Al Stokie
Again close to home in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: