Date: 3/3/17 9:54 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: the elusive jeering Gyr
*

Given the season, when cranes and geese and all the arctic nesters are on the move I would expect a Gyrfalcon to not linger. i was a bit surprised and totally pleased that it remained as long as it did, allowing so many humans to enjoy it. One was reported near Tangent in mid-December a few years ago and I'm not sure anyone saw it after the initial report. I think of them as speciaiizing on Cackling Geese. The USFWS has an agreement with farmers to keep geese out of the eastside of the Willamette Valley. The Fairchilds discovered one near Inavale School on the Corvallis CBC a few years ago.
It had a white patch of feathers on the left side of its head, so it was obvious people were seeing the same bird on subsequent sightings. It hung around for two months maybe--there's a lot of geese in se Benton County at that season. But it ranged widely. Someone photographed it by the barn at the old HQs site on Finley, someone else saw it perched along 99W closer to the airport. It seems like a week or ten days would go by between reports.
The habitat in Benton County, rich in prey, is continuous with the Linn County area under consideration if you are a bird. Humans are obliged to go to Corvallis or Harrisburg however to use a bridge.
Lars
On Mar 2, 2017, at 10:56 PM, Tom McNamara wrote:

> Well, alright a tad anthropomorphic, but as France and Jack have written....it was not seen by them and I too was skunked. Jack and I must've been driving around in non-intersecting circles as we did not cross paths. To add to what France said inre other parties: I spoke with several others and no one had seen the bird. Based on this, unlike Jack, I Am suggesting the bird has moved on. But it's only a suggestion and if I lived in greater proximity I would keep trying.
> And to think I was only 4 species short of matching Jeff Fleischer's 5-falcon slam of last Sat.---Kestrels were everywhere ;-)
> Oh, I did see my FOS Turkey Vulture, pretty funky consolation bird....
> good birding,
> Tom

Join us on Facebook!