Date: 3/3/17 9:42 am
From: Andy Frank <andydfrank...>
Subject: [obol] RFI- unusual Red-tailed Hawk with pale head (photos)
Yesterday Wink Gross and I birded Wasco County. We saw a good assortment
of birds including Lewis's Woodpecker, Rough-legged Hawk, Say's Phoebe, 3
Northern Shrikes in different locations and Tricolored Blackbirds (numerous
eBird reports provide all the details).

We came across one unusual RED-TAILED HAWK with a very pale head. We were
able to watch it for a few minutes and from 2 different angles and the
paleness was not just due to the lighting. When the bird flew it clearly
had the typical red tail of a Red-tailed Hawk so we didn't have any
question regarding the species, but I don't recall seeing any Red-tails
around here with such a pale head before and was wondering if anyone knew
more about this than I do.

Photos are at http://andyfrank.blogspot.com/ and left-clicking enlarges
them.

Any comments are appreciated.