Date: 3/3/17 9:38 am
From: Priscilla Sokolowski <priscillanhk...>
Subject: [obol] Re: ? about ebird inre the westside gyr
In addition to what Bob Archer posted about going to "recent visits" for
the county (linn county in the case of this Gyrfalcon); there is a free
birding app called "BirdsEye" available for both android and iPhone, which
has a "rare bird alert" option in the main menu. This also gets it's data
from eBird and includes reports which have not yet been approved by
reviewers. Right now for example it shows nine rare species including the
Gyrfalcon (Harris's Sparrow, Brant, Golden Eagle, Brewer's Sparrow etc) .
The rare bird alert list shows that there are currently 25 eBird
checklists for the Gyrfalcon. If I click on the Gyrfalcon entry, it then
lists those 25 checklists. These lines include the observers name and more
.... I'll attach a screenshot with observer's names painted over. I can
click on any of those 25 lines in BirdsEye and get to the actual eBird
checklist filed by that observer, which of course includes any notes and
photos they included and a link to the usual eBird map for the location the
observer specified.
So this is another option for sightings of "flagged species" sightings
which have not yet been reviewed.

What are the limitations of the free version of BirdsEye? When using the
"nearby" main menu option, it only lists up to 100 of the most common
birds within the distance and time windows you have set. (Those range from
1 to 4 wks and 1 to 50km and can be easily and quickly changed).

Because I like BirdsEye so much I have the "subscription" version. But
again, I am 90% sure that even the free version has this next feature I
like. When looking through the birds listed as "nearby" there is a sighting
frequency chart shown for each bird, showing the relative sighting
abundance for the "distance window" setting (centered around one's current
location - phone gps). I can view for example that Cedar Waxwings's within
5 miles of my home (this includes delta ponds in Eugene) are found in low
numbers January through the April but sightings really pick up in May
through October and taper off steadily through November. This chart gives
results which DO depend on the distance setting around one's current
location. If I go out to 50 miles there is more variation shown numbers
found through in the Winter months. There are other neat features of this
birding app too, but I'll stop here and you can decide to check it out or
not. BTW I am not affiliated with the company in any way.

Priscilla Sokolowski

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 11:44 PM, Tom McNamara <tmcmac67...> wrote:

> Some ebird-anado must know what's going on with following so I'd suggest
> a reply to the list as a whole. The issue: I've tried searching ebird
> using the Explore Data tab for this Linn County gyrfalcon. No results.
> I've tried using the Species Maps and the Bar Charts and I don't get any
> returns for it. This is in contrast to, say, the gyr that Khanh Tran found
> a couple weeks ago in the Wallowas. What's going on with this? I know the
> bird has been reported to ebird by a number of individuals but there are no
> purple rectangles which resolve into marker balloons as one zooms in.
> cheers, Tom

Join us on Facebook!