Date: 3/3/17 5:31 am
From: JimC <jimcancil...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Owl moves in before construction completed
I placed Wood Duck boxes in the marsh years ago but the DNR came and installed many more in the WMA across the creek and I re-purposed some of my boxes into owl boxes. A fellow recently offered duck boxes on Craigslist for $45 that are exceptional, compared to my old boxes. I got two.

I could not reach over the 'coon roof' to set the top screw and had to leave the box hanging from a halyard 'till I came up with another way to secure it. Three days later, I'm painted into a corner: an owl has moved in already... I can't disturb it banging away during the day... nor am I confident about working on a ladder in the dark?! But, I am happy it likes the new accommodations.

Side note: when I asked him if he could make Bat Boxes; he looked at me like I was nuts. (I got two off Ebay from some 14yr old kid lat year) The small clearing where this owl box is located has already had three bats last weekend. We like bats.

Jim