Date: 3/2/17 8:27 pm
From: Denis DeSilvis <avnacrs4birds...>
Subject: Re: [Tweeters] Birdseed
Wally, and Tweeters

I typically provide 160 lbs of mixed bird seed (from Costco -- mfg by local company: Global Harvest Foods) for the ground feeders; 30 lbs of black oilseed; 4 suet blocks; 2-3 lbs of shelled peanuts; some peanut butter; and 1/2 lb of suet balls per week at our home in rural Roy (that last may be redundant!). I have 14 oilseed feeders, 10 suet feeders, 5 shelled peanut feeders, 1 suet-ball feeder and one peanut-butter feeder set up on about 4 acres. And 9 large ground-feeding areas. The ground seed, which includes millet, is scarfed up by the 125+ juncos, 20-25 Song Sparrows, 1 White-throated Sparrow (here since 10/2/2016), 2 White-crowned Sparrows, 7 Fox Sparrows, 12-15 Golden-crowned Sparrows, 15-25 Spotted Towhees, 15-25 Red-winged Blackbirds, 20-25 House Finches, 7 California Quail, 1 Ring-necked Pheasant, 8-12 Steller's Jays, 2 California Scrub-Jays, 10-80 Mourning Doves, 2 Eurasian Collared-Doves, and 10-20 House Sparrows at we have daily at the house. Even the two species of chickadees snag the peanuts (which are included in the Costco seed) that are on the ground. I was initially hesitant, in 2005, about providing ground feed that included millet, but the feeding habits of the species here belied the tales I heard about white millet being a seed that was only filler. Definitely not a fact, at least for the birds that winter here.

May all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis

<avnacrs4birds...>