Date: 3/2/17 6:55 pm
From: linda phelan thompson <lindaphelanlmt...>
Subject: [obol] Re: heron rookery abandoned
We had a heron rookery in a single Ponderosa Pine tree, next to the Koll
Wetlands. They used to start adding twigs, or building new nests in
February, couldn't give you a date. There were up to two dozen nests the
third year, that was a lot of birds in that tree, you could hear them! Then
a pair of mature Eagles started hanging out at the lake daily, what
would've been the fourth spring, so the few that had started nesting,
vacated them. The third year, the Eagles were rarely around, and a few
mated couples started building nests back up. But then, an Eagle would come
around, just long enough to let them know who was boss. I hadn't seen
Eagles around much the last few years, or longer, but there is a pair of
adult Bald Eagles being seen pretty regularly around the lake for at least
the last month, that I know of and have observed. I saw them fly over
yesterday, directly over my head.

--

*Linda Lee*

Join us on Facebook!