Date: 3/2/17 6:43 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Mar 2017) 3 Raptors

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitors (2): Kathleen Pileggi,
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk Watch!

Weather:
Sunny (10-20% cloud cover), Temps 44-46F, Winds WNW 20-30 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
5-Red-tailed Hawk, 1-American Kestrel, and numerous Black (24) and Turkey
Vultures (64).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1

Non-raptor Observations:
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-COMMON RAVEN, 1-Horned Lark,
6-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” - (Comments on the events & “feel” of the day –
read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks; encounter other
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S BLOG: The question of weather (get it?) March would come in like a
‘lion’ or ‘lamb,’ has been solved for this year. It came in like a
ferocious ‘lion.’ A ‘lion’ who apparently was upset by mystically being
transported from then plains of Africa (great pictures, Hank!), to the
beautiful meadows of Bucktoe Creek Preserve; taking out those frustrations
by “blowing” over our port-o-potty last night with sustained 30 mph winds.
As “king of the forest,” this ‘lion’ must have abdicated his ‘throne.’ One
can ‘butt’ wonder what “joys” lie within!?!? Thankfully, the fine folks at
The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County, sponsors of our Fall Hawk
Watch at Bucktoe, came and ‘relieved’ our problem….hey, it’s a crappy job,
butt somebody’s got to do it, right? And a fine job, they did! Thanks
Gwen, Rock, and Tim! You took a load off my mind. I was sorry to ‘dump’
this task on you, but you are all #1 & #2 in my book! (lol) You will wash
your hands before eating, right guys?

Ah yes, the birds…. an adult Bald Eagle – a local bird – came in close and
deftly maneuvered right through our woods to the west. A Sharpie, a
Cooper’s, and a local Kestrel made an appearance. Despite a possible
distant croak, twice in the day, no Raven appeared. Then, just as I was
leaving for the day - I literally had my hand upon my door handle - a large
corvid flew directly over, began soaring, revealing to even an unaided eye
a long wedge-shaped tail and even finally croaking several times. An
amazing look and a great finale to the day.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Delaware Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their
incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the
public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.44; Steps: 15,097; Floors:
81.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
but conduct a migration tally from the site. Below is the list of species
identified on this year’s “Watch,” from the watch area. We include it
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must
remain our primary focus) for totals of each species seen for “The Watch”
year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 39; this season: 49
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” American
Kestrel, Horned Lark.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks more rough weather with clouds and a chance of some
rain, even some flurries. The 'lion' continues!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
<BR><BR>
will be removed.
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):