Date: 3/2/17 5:36 pm
From: Alice Horst <ahorst...>
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Message from EAGLEWATCH
Good evening everyone:
I received a lengthy email from EagleWatch to whom I report the 2 Bald Eagle nests that I monitor. I am forwarding their message:

Many of our eaglets are reaching the point where they are venturing out on branches around their nest and preparing to fledge. This is a critical time for nest monitors to keep an eye out for eaglets that may fledge too soon and need assistance. We recently received our first “early jumper” eaglet at the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey Clinic from a nest in Lake County. The eaglet was rescued by a quick-thinking and tenacious EagleWatch volunteer who searched the woods for the young bird who had left the nest too soon. Thankfully, it didn’t have any broken bones, but is being treated for a mild case of avian pox. If you find an eaglet out of the nest that needs help, you may call the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey for guidance at 407-644-0190. After hours, you may call Reinier Munguia at 863-797-7374 for help locating a rescuer, or the Florida Fish and Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-3922.

ALSO:

Finally, I wanted to share with you about an opportunity to help another amazing raptor species while you are out observing your eagle nests. Swallow-tailed kites are currently returning to Florida from South America to nest. The Avian Research and Conservation Institute (ARCI) monitors the population of Swallow-tailed Kites and their small team is asking for assistance on identifying probable and confirmed nesting locations of Swallow-tailed Kites. Reports of nests or nesting activity can be made on the ARCI website: http://arcinst.org/report-sightings <http://arcinst.org/report-sightings>. Useful information to report:
1. A concise location (could be GPS coordinates from on-line map, or intersection or landscape description).
2. Date of observation
3. Number of Swallow-tailed Kites seen and their behavior
4. If observing an actual nest, what activities are you observing: nest building, incubation, brooding, chicks (how many), predation, failed/empty, fledglings.

Thank you, Birders.
Alice Horst, Marion County, FL
<ahorst...>
please visit us on the web at: