Date: 3/2/17 3:15 pm
From: Jim McPhee <jmcphee...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] ABQ spotted owl-access being denied by the National Park Service.
I went to see the Spotted Owl about 1 PM today. The area where viewers had
been previously allowed access had been blocked off. The rangers informed me
that they had been directed by their regional headquarters to no longer
allow access to the owl because the only way to currently view it is
practically get right next to it at just above eye level. They feel, and I
think rightly so, that continued access risks disturbing this threated
species. They asked that the word be put out that at least for now, visitors
will not be allowed access to the area from which the owl can be viewed.

I'd suggest anyone interest in seeing the owl contact the Petroglyphs
National Monument headquarters and ask what their current policy is
regarding being able to see the owl.

Jim McPhee
Placitas, NM
W5ABA