Date: 3/2/17 12:00 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Reported Red-necked Phalaropes in Lake County!!
Thanks to a heads-up by a birding friend, of a flock (!!) of 7 Red-necked Phalaropes that were reported at Diamond Lake in Mundelein, Lake County on an eBird rare bird alert (apparently ANYTHING makes it on such alerts!), since the birds were so close to home, I had to go check things out... even though the sighting was MORE THAN TWO MONTHS too early for this species to be in Illinois! Suspecting a mis-identification, unfortunately, I was not incorrect. Once there, I joined up with Joe, then Phil, and despite a bit of momentary excitement, the "blackish crowned... long, slender white-necked (birds)"... with "bill not as long as Wilson's Phalarope" (as described in the eBird alert by the observer) was pretty much correct on all accounts... though, spoiler alert, the birds were NOT Red-necked Phalaropes... they were HORNED GREBES, of which there were about ten scattered about the lake in a few small groups. It was nice seeing the grebes... and a nice adult BALD EAGLE flew over close while we were there, plus I was able to meet a Lake County birder for the first time! Luckily, it was a short drive, and a good excuse to get out of the house. Good birding!

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...>

Join us on Facebook!