Date: 3/2/17 11:30 am
From: 'Ann H.' <annhep...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Sora, BUOW and more - March 1 at Sunnyvale Water Pollution Control Plant
13 people enjoyed the beautiful weather on the First Wed bird walk with SCVAS, led by Allen Royer and Linda Johnson.
Highlights included:
Sora:  we heard it calling from the reeds in the channel by the eucalyptus trees, along the path from the pkg lot out to the bay.  We got the "Sora Trifecta:"  1) heard it, 2) saw it (came out into the open for great views), 3) saw it fly!  (flew from 1 side of the channel to the other, just below us where it was no longer visible)
Winter birds:  we had Say's Phoebe, 3 American Pipets, 2 Western Meadowlarks
Common Yellowthroat:  a male gave us great looks, in the same channel as the Sora
BURROWING OWL!  thanks Frank and Ryan.We walked up to where Ryan's crew had mowed the grass down, and sure enough, found Frank's burrowing owl peeping up from its burrow.  It was sticking out its head enough to see its eyes and sometimes its beak.  We engaged several passersby to look at the owl through our scopes...   they were surprised to see it, and to learn that it's active in the daytime.
Western Bluebird:  Linda and I had one sitting on a road sign on Borregas access road from Caribbean.  !!
View the full ebird checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S34916952
Good birding!Ann Hepenstal

Join us on Facebook!