Date: 3/2/17 10:39 am
From: Philip C Stouffer <pstouffer...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] FW: [LABIRD-L] LALIT: Do bird feeders increase nest predation?
Hi all,
There have been a couple of recent papers on feeders in Ornithological Applications (=Condor).
This one is just out. The upshot is that when supplemental food attracts crows (not sure exactly how that works- it can't be a direct effect) it is bad for robin nest survival. Cardinals, on the other hand, don't seem to be affected.
http://www.americanornithologypubs.org/doi/abs/10.1650/CONDOR-16-72.1 - open access On that Ibis paper, I'd be hesitant to accept that predation on quail eggs in artificial nests reflects reality except perhaps in a loose qualitative way.
Back to the Red-headed Woodpecker thread, my impression is that the increase in Cooper's Hawks in LA is as Van described, a mostly urban/suburban phenomenon. Are Red-headed Woodpeckers declining in these settings? In my neighborhood in BR they are around (as are increasing coops). Is there anything in particular about rhwo that makes them vulnerable to coops? When I first got to LA I was impressed by rhwo drilling into creosote-coated poles. Maybe that habit of perching on poles (more than red-bellied, for instance) makes them easy prey?
Good birding/feeding,
Phil