Date: 3/2/17 7:27 am
From: Chuck Berthoud <cbpabirds...>
Subject: Multiple eBird challenges for March and 2017
Hello PA Birders:

Qualifying checklists for March’s eBird challenge will be only those
that have attached photos and audio recordings. The birding community is
encouraged to help build the Macaulay Library with our digital media.
With the advent of Merlin Photo ID software in December our pictures can
be compared to others in the library. The bigger the library the more
accurate the ID and make it easier for the software to use poorer
quality photos.

This year eBird has established two new challenges. The first is a year
challenge of submitting at least 365 complete checklists. Although not
specifically stated I don’t believe they must be submitted daily as this
seems too hard to achieve. If you are attempting to qualify for the 2017
challenge, you should have submitted at least 59 checklists by the end
of February to keep on track. Three winners will be chosen to receive
the ZEISS Conquest HD 8x42 binocular.

Newly announced in February is the Cornell Bird Academy giveaway. During
2017 ten eBirders who submit qualified checklists each month will
receive access to one of their courses. February’s checklists will be
used to win free access to the online course “Be a Better Birder: Duck
and Waterfowl Identification”. If you like taking part in the eBirder of
the Month Challenges, here are even more excuses to motivate yourself to
get out birding.

Chuck Berthoud

Board member, PA Society of Ornithology

York County