Date: 3/2/17 6:56 am
From: James P Smith <keenbirder...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Barrow's Goldeneye - Turner's Falls
Greetings birders,

Slightly belated news and perhaps a one-day event, but a nice female
Barrow's Goldeneye at the Turner's Falls power canal on Feb 27th. It was
reported by Mark Taylor around 11am and still present in late afternoon
when I found it feeding close to an orange-billed Common Goldeneye;

http://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com/2017/03/ma-barrows-and-orange-billed-common.html

For some reason this has been a particularly poor winter for Barrow's at
Turner's Falls and this was the first individual that I've seen to date.
Thanks very much to Mark for his report.

A few other birds of note include a peak count of 9 Kumlien's Iceland Gulls
at Turner's on Feb 18th with smaller numbers throughout to 4 birds on Feb
28th. Also, a Black Vulture over the power canal on Feb 26th, Merlins in
Gill on Feb 23rd and Mar 1st, and a migrant Northern Harrier (male) in Gill
on Mar 1st.

Images of some of these and other species in the area can be seen at;

http://pioneerbirding.blogspot.com

Good birding,

James

Join us on Facebook!