Date: 3/2/17 6:05 am
From: Ken Klapper <kklapper...>
Subject: [NHBirds] (Great Grey) Shrike - Thompson Sanctuary, N. Sandwich
Well, overseas they call it that, but here it's just a "Northern". I guess
this sighting will be overshadowed by the larger, rarer Great Gray bird
being seen in the western part of the state. Figured I'd mention it anyway
- it appears to be an adult and is really quite beautiful. There was also
a singing Brown Creeper, and a Common Grackle has joined the blackbird
flock (yesterday there were two - the first I've seen in the Lakes Region
this year).

Yesterday afternoon, at the Whiteface-Intervale fields in North Sandwich,
there were 14 Canada Geese in one of the open grassy patches. A mere few
compared to the hordes being reported in the Connecticut Valley, but this
is the first true flock I've seen in the Lakes Region this year. I didn't
see any Bohemian Waxwings (but didn't really look along the roadside trees,
plus it was really foggy), but did enjoy a nice snowshoe hare in full white
pelage along the snowmobile/sled-dog trail.

Ken Klapper
Sandwich, NH