Date: 3/2/17 6:03 am
From: Kristen Lindquist <kelindquist...>
Subject: Re: [Maine-birds] Peter Vickery, 1949-2017
Thank you for this beautiful tribute, Jan. Peter was such a pillar of the
Maine birding community and he touched so many of our lives over the years
and on the birding trails. He will be greatly missed.

Kristen

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:27 AM, Jan Pierson <jpierson...>
wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> Peter Vickery died early Tuesday morning, at his home in Richmond and with
> his wife, Barbara, at his side. Although diagnosed with esophageal cancer
> in September 2015, Peter was able to manage his illness remarkably well,
> and with a spirit and optimism that have both inspired and sustained those
> who loved him. As recently as last week, he was making plans to visit
> Matinicus Rock in June.
>
> Readers of this listserv are familiar with Peter from his many posts here
> over the years, and hundreds of you know him personally—as birding
> acquaintances, field trip participants, co-leaders, CBC counters,
> colleagues, co-authors, and close friends. I can hear Peter's voice in my
> ear as I write this, and so I want to share a few thoughts.
>
> My wife, Liz, and I met Peter in the late 1970s while birding on Monhegan.
> We were complete newbies, full of energy and ignorance, while Peter was
> already an accomplished and experienced birder. He was leading a group, and
> our interactions were brief. He was seeing some pretty cool stuff, and we
> didn't have much to offer in return. You can imagine our amazement when he
> pulled the head of a freshly dead Sora from his pocket! He’d watched the
> bird fall prey to a cat, and in Peter's hands its remains were now a
> teaching tool.
>
> Over the next 10 years or so, we would run into Peter intermittently at
> Scarborough Marsh, Popham, the Kennebunk Plains, Biddeford Pool, or
> elsewhere our birding paths crossed. For the most part, though, Peter on
> the one hand and Liz and I on the other existed in separate orbits, in
> large part because we lived in different parts of the state. Liz and I
> learned much about birds in Maine and elsewhere in that period, but little
> about Peter.
>
> In 1981 Liz (mostly) and I co-authored *A Birder's Guide to the Coast of
> Maine*—limited to the coast because, well, there was still a big chunk of
> the state with which we had little experience. The book was carried by a
> lot of birders for many years, but I imagine Peter (though he never
> expressed it to us) might have been thinking we'd written from a relative
> paucity of experience and limited data points. He would've been right.
>
> The 1990s arrived, the little coastal *Birder's Guide* was getting long
> in the tooth, and Liz and I began to ponder an update, one that would cover
> the whole state. We put feelers out to birders around Maine for preliminary
> information and suggestions, including Peter. One day out of the blue Peter
> called and asked if he could come over. He appeared carrying a box, and he
> offered its contents for our use, no strings attached. “It's all yours," he
> said. Inside were several hundred typed pages of detailed and nearly
> complete descriptions for dozens of birding sites around the state, clearly
> compiled from a continuing effort on his part that had spanned a decade, if
> [...]

Kristen Lindquist

website: www.kristenlindquist.com
haiku blog: klindquist.blogspot.com

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama