Date: 3/2/17 5:43 am
From: <pcollins...> <pcollins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch 03/01/17
Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ March 1, 2017
8:00am - 3:00pm

I was late this morning but the raptors were later. I rolled into the park at 9:15 and found a fine collection of optimistic birders assembled for opening day. They reported nothing much flying yet at the park. It was 10:39 before the first scattered groups of Turkey Vultures were sighted. TVs continued to pass through all day. The largest kettle was 15 a bit after noon.
Our first Zoned-tailed Hawk of the season checked in at 2:12, prompting Zone-tailed hysteria to breakout with every ensuing turkey vulture. We tried hard to turn each sky high TV into a Zone-tailed, but eventually the fever subsided.
Rumors of Gray Hawks in the area continued, but none were observed at the park.

Local raptors included Cooper’s Hawk, Sharp-shins, Kestrel and Red-tailed Hawks.

Bob spotted our first drone of the watch.

Migrating Raptors:
Turkey Vulture 53
Red-Tailed Hawk 6
Peregrine Falcon 1