Date: 3/1/17 6:24 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (01 Mar 2017) 7 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 7 7 7

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gerry Teig, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitors(3): Kathleen Pileggi, Rick Casey, Gerry Teig

Weather:
Cloudy with Thunderstorms (100% cloud cover), Temps 58-72F, Winds SW
20-30mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (14) and
Turkey Vultures (53) <BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-1

Non-raptor Observations:
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 3,250-Snow Geese, 1-ROSS'S GOOSE, 2-Wood
Duck, 8-Ring-billed Gull, 1-Eastern Phoebe, 1-COMMON RAVEN,2-Savannah
Sparrow, 6-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0): Reptiles & Amphibians (1):
Spring Peeper. Dragonflies (0): Mammals (0):
<BR><BR>
----“BUCKTOE BIRD BLOG” - (Comments on the events & “feel” of the day –
read on, if you dare) We see birds, many of them hawks; encounter other
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S BLOG: I’m back. That’s right; Bucktoe Creek Preserve has a Spring
Hawk Watch as well, this year. Today was the first day. The weather did
not cooperate, although not quite as bad as predicted. The day started off
with flocks of Snow Geese streaming overhead, totaling several thousand –
one flock of 700 containing a single Ross’s. A great start! A few
Sharpies, a couple of Eagles and Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks were
not victims to the weather. Our local Ravens were so much fun during the
Fall’s Hawk Watch – once doing a close flyby with an Eagle in hot pursuit.
One did a brief flyby to start this day, without the Eagle. An early
Phoebe added to the feeling of Spring; it’s repeated call reaching our
pavilion from the meadow below. A slow, but interesting start. I wonder
what thrills await?
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to The
Delaware Nature Society (DNS), and especially, to the Brokaws, for their
incredible support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the
public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
pace endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and it’s part of my “Walk with
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.98; Steps: 14,026; Floors:
43.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
but conduct a migration tally from the site. Below is the list of species
identified on this year’s “Watch,” from the watch area. We include it
feature an approximation (very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must
remain our primary focus) for totals of each species seen for “The Watch”
year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 47
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (47):” all of
them - first day.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Better weather tomorrow!
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
will be removed.
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by the Delaware
Nature Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):