Date: 3/1/17 6:12 pm
From: John Romano <birderjuan...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] LALIT: Red-headed Woodpecker declines
I have sort of stumbled into a Red-headed Woodpecker "hotspot" in Opelousas
centered around South Park. If one takes Market St south thru the historic
district for about 3/4 of a mile from the downtown area of the courthouse,
Market St enters South Park . This whole resideniual area has lots of
mature trees both pines and decidious. On 04/21/16 there was one RHWP
working a tree in the yard on Tennis St, 2 short blocks north of the Park,
and 3 more flying around the parking lot at the north end of park. I
walked about 1/10 miles thru the park into the residential area just south
of the Park and there were three more RHWPs. So that was 7 Red-headed
Woodpecker in an area of about 5 blocks. I have never seen a Coopers Hawk
or Sharp-shinned Hawk in this area. No one feeds birds in Opelousas.

By contrast, I have found only 1 RHWP in St Martin Parish in 5 years of
fairly intensive birding there.

John Romano
Breaux Bridge and Opelousas

Join us on Facebook!