Date: 3/1/17 6:04 pm
From: Janna Pauser <jannapauser...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Almaden Lake nesting birds 3-01-17
The Almaden Lake bird sanctuary island was full of egrets and herons
this morning. The bare tree that supported so many nests the last few
years blew down in a storm, making it more crowded that ever. I counted
51 BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERONS on the south side with more likely hidden
in foliage. A GREAT BLUE HERON was at a large nest with a possible mate
nearby. One GREEN HERON was seen at the waters edge. WESTERN BLUEBIRDS,
TREE and VIOLET GREEN SWALLOWS were competing for hanging nest boxes. A
BUSHTIT pair chose an unfortunate place to start a nest low in a shrub
near the Bocce Ball court. Two PIED BILLED GREBE pair and seven COMMON
MERGANSER'S were on the lake. The RED NAPED SAPSUCKER continues to feed
at Pepper tree sap. I picked out two MYRTLES YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER after
hearing their louder, low chip call.

This afternoon I found four CHIPPING SPARROWS in the Redwood grove in TJ
Martin Park. It was unusual to see them perched high in a tree. A
NORTHERN FLICKER pair and WESTERN BLUEBIRDS were also here.

Janna Pauser
San Jose

Join us on Facebook!