Date: 3/1/17 4:38 pm
From: Ryan Phillips <harpiabz...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [SBB] 3/1 Coyote Valley (Laguna, Coyote OSP)
To add to Chuq's report we had 2 Burrowing Owls on Laguna Ave directly on the road. Probably pushed there from the flooded fields.
Also of note was a LESSER YELLOWLEGS mixed in with  8 Greater Yellowlegs at the west corner of Bailey Ave and Santa Teresa Blvd in the flooded area.
Ryan Phillips

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Chuq Von Rospach <chuqvr...> [south-bay-birds]<south-bay-birds-noreply...> wrote:

Spent a bit of time today down in Coyote Valley, starting on West Laguna, where I ran into Ryan Phillips and his posse surveying the nonexistent (this trip) tricolor blackbirds. Notable birds included a full adult Bald Eagle in gorgeous soar mode over the hills, probably one from Calero as it ultimately wandered back that way, and a nice White-Tailed Kite. Other birds included Yellow-billed Magpies, Red-winged and Brewers blackbirds, Western Meadowlarks, red-tailed hawks (including one masquerading as a Ferruginous, which was evidently on coffee break, as was the @#$@#$ burrowing owl again), turkey vultures and a kestrel. Fascinating to see the vernal ponds that we used to call pastures out in the area, which were unfortunately empty of shorebirds.
I then went to Coyote OSP, where it was even quieter, the notable bird being (no kidding) house finches, because the equestrian lot was under repair and generating a fair bit of noise. But is sure was a beautiful day out there, but you can still see the results of the recent rains: the road in to the OSP is heavily potholed but passable, just drive slowly and carefully.

Chuq Von Rospach - http://www.chuqui.comEmail: <chuqvr...>: @chuqSilicon Valley, California

Join us on Facebook!