Date: 3/1/17 4:22 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqvr...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] 3/1 Coyote Valley (Laguna, Coyote OSP)
Spent a bit of time today down in Coyote Valley, starting on West Laguna, where I ran into Ryan Phillips and his posse surveying the nonexistent (this trip) tricolor blackbirds. Notable birds included a full adult Bald Eagle in gorgeous soar mode over the hills, probably one from Calero as it ultimately wandered back that way, and a nice White-Tailed Kite. Other birds included Yellow-billed Magpies, Red-winged and Brewers blackbirds, Western Meadowlarks, red-tailed hawks (including one masquerading as a Ferruginous, which was evidently on coffee break, as was the @#$@#$ burrowing owl again), turkey vultures and a kestrel. Fascinating to see the vernal ponds that we used to call pastures out in the area, which were unfortunately empty of shorebirds.

I then went to Coyote OSP, where it was even quieter, the notable bird being (no kidding) house finches, because the equestrian lot was under repair and generating a fair bit of noise. But is sure was a beautiful day out there, but you can still see the results of the recent rains: the road in to the OSP is heavily potholed but passable, just drive slowly and carefully.

Chuq Von Rospach - http://www.chuqui.com
Email: <chuqvr...>
Twitter: @chuq
Silicon Valley, California