Date: 3/1/17 2:57 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden & Techny North Wed 3-1-17
Hello Bird People,

The rain was not expected to start until 10 a.m. but when I arrived at
the CBG a light rain was already falling & except for a 30 min break
it continued until I left at 11:15. This meant I had to resort to
"umbrella birding" for part of my visit & we "old retired guys" don't
like that as we need both hands to steady the bino's & focus. I made
the best of it.

Only 1 species of diving duck (Goldeneye) in the pond south of Evening
Island but I found dabbling ducks (3 species) in the B.Brown Preserve
Pond. Found few interesting birds until the end of the visit but I
finished up stronger then. Here's my site list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (8:45-11:15 a.m.)

P.B. Grebe (1 nice adult in breeding plumage)
Canada Goose (~30, scattered)
Mallard (only 10 today)
Green Winged Teal (2-M)
Gadwall (4-PR)
Shoveler (1-PR)
Common Goldeneye (16)
BALD EAGLE (1-AD flying N.E. over the entrance road)
Kestrel (1-M)
Killdeer (1 on the Rt68 flats which are mostly under water)
Herring Gull (2)
Mourning Dove (heard 1)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (heard 1)
Downy Woodpecker (1)
Crows (13 flying north while calling loudly)
Chickadee (4)
Robins (10-12)
Starling (1 group of about 35)
Cardinal (4)
Tree Sparrow (2 with Junco's)
Song Sparrow (4 with 1 singing)
Junco (12-15)
Red Winged Blackbird (8-10)
Grackle (5-6)
RUSTY BLACKBIRD (1-M, I am doing well with this species so far)
House Finch (heard 1 singing)
Goldfinch (6-8)
House Sparrow (heard a few)

Techny North (12:10-12:25 p.m.)

After the rain this area is flooded so the mud flats are gone but even
the ducks are mostly gone as well, not sure why? Here I saw:

Canada Goose (2)
Mallard (6)
Common Merganser (1-M)
Ring Billed (1-AD) & Herring (1-AD) Gulls

Bird-Of-The-Day to the adult Bald Eagle which although I see plenty in
the Winter they are seldom seen at the CBG. I think this one is only
the 2nd one I have ever seen there.
Runner-Up to the male Rusty Blackbird hiding among the Starling flock.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today wishing for better weather tomorrow

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: