Date: 3/1/17 2:29 pm
From: Eric Ollie <uphawkeye...>
Subject: [ia-bird] REMINDER: IOU Field Trip to Michigan and the North Woods (Not a sighting)
Greetings birders!!!

The IOU Events Committee would like to remind everyone that there are
still *four
slots currently available* (as of 4:30 PM on 3/1/17) for our exciting trip
to the North Woods of Michigan to find Kirtland's Warblers and MUCH, MUCH
MORE!!!

The trip dates are from Saturday, May 20th through Thursday, May 25th.

The cost is $825 to share a hotel room with a friend (maybe a new one!) or
$1025 to have a hotel room for yourself. The trip fee will cover all
transportation costs and five nights of hotel rooms.

A $100 deposit is all it takes to reserve a slot on the trip.

Half of the slots have already been reserved, so if you are interested,
don't wait too long to act!

Below is the original announcement:

We will be taking a six-day, out-of-state North Woods birding trip to
Michigan. The main focus of this trip will be to find *Kirtland's Warblers*,
which nearly became extinct by the mid 20th Century (but are now recovering
well) and now nest almost exclusively in the young Jack Pine forests of
the Lower Peninsula of Michigan. We will then drive north over the Mackinac
Bridge to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, where we will search the boreal
forest for birds in such places as the Whitefish Bay Bird Observatory
(located on a natural geographical "funnel" for migrating birds),
Tahquamenon Falls State Park and Seney National Wildlife Refuge. We will
finish out with stops in Manistique and Escanaba on the west side of Lake
Michigan.

Some of the other birds that we could potentially find on this trip
include Black-backed Woodpecker, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Connecticut
Warbler, Pine Warbler, Piping Plover, Red-breasted Merganser, Common
Merganser, Common Loon, Red-throated Loon, Red-necked Grebe, Boreal
Chickadee, Winter Wren, Trumpeter Swan, Sandhill Crane, Northern
Goshawk, Merlin, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Veery, Yellow Rail, LeConte's Sparrow,
Spruce Grouse, Sharp-tailed Grouse, Ruffed Grouse, Evening Grosbeak, Purple
Finch, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Gray
Jay and Common Raven, among many others. Many warbler (and other) species
that only pass through Iowa can be found nesting in this area. Moose, Gray
Wolves, Black Bears and porcupines, while fairly shy and secretive can also
be found!

Keep in mind that this is a “birding trip” planned by birders, for birders.
This means that birding will be the overriding focus and that the day may
begin and end at odd hours, very possibly before sunrise. Some meals will
be in nice restaurants, but some meals may be food bought on the run at a
convenience store. We will do our best to keep to some kind of reasonable
schedule.

• This trip is available to *IOU members only*. The cost of
an IOU membership starts for as low as $25!

• The dates for this trip will be from *Saturday, May 20th -
Thursday, May 25th, 2017*.

• At this time, the ESTIMATED cost (subject to change) for
the trip is *$825.00* per person for a double-occupancy hotel room. To have
a room for yourself, the single-occupancy premium will be $200.00 for a
total of $1025. If you are a single but want to double-up with someone, we
can *try* to pair you up with someone (no promises). The $825/$1025 cost
covers only transportation, five nights of lodging and tolls, and entrance
fees.

• *NOT included:* Meals, snacks, drinks, personal items etc.

• At this time, we are limiting this trip to 8 participants
(a minimum of 7 might necessitate as small increase).

• The 8 slots will be reserved on a first come, first serve
basis, as deposits are received.

Transportation Mode: Two Grand Caravans (or similar, 7 passenger) 5
people per vehicle.

To register for the trip please send an email to Paul Roisen at:
<roisenp1950...> Paul will reply with the necessary registration
materials.

Please make sure you mail your registration form and checks (make them out
to the IOU) to the *registrar* for this trip:

Paul Roisen

4420 3rd Ave

Sioux City, IA 51105

If you have any questions, please email Paul Roisen (<roisenp1950...>)
or Eric Ollie (<uphawkeye...>).

Thanks! Looking forward to a great trip!!

Eric Ollie and Paul Roisen, Co-leaders