Date: 3/1/17 1:09 pm
From: John Kennington <johnkennington...>
Subject: Resend: Tulsa Audubon - Chip Taylor, Recorder's Annual Report
My apologies, I earlier forwarded the version with graphics, making it
difficult to read on OKBirds.

*President's Notes*

We have lots going on this week! On Wed. March 1st at 5:00 p.m. is a Tulsa
City Council meeting about the potential sale of part of Helmerich Park.
Details are below.

On Saturday, March 4th Tulsa Audubon is bringing Dr. Chip Taylor of Monarch
Watch to the Tulsa area. Details are below, but if you have any interest in
Monarch Butterflies, or in encouraging other pollinators, you don't want to
miss his free presentation this Saturday afternoon.

On Sunday, March 5th is a planting and cleanup day at our Flycatcher Trail
Demonstration Garden, see below for details. We need lots of help that day!

Finally, on Wednesday. March 8, is an After Work Beginning Birding Walk.
All ages and skill levels welcome for a short walk. Meet at 4:30 pm at Ray
Harral Nature Center, 7101 S. 3rd St in Broken Arrow (On 121st between Elm
and Lynn Lane).

John Kennington

*Recorder's Annual Repor*t
I encourage anyone interested in birds (and I think that that is all of us)
to read TAS Recorder Paul Ribitzki's 2016 annual Recorder's Report is now
available. It is a summary of the birds seen in Tulsa County in 2016. Paul
includes the first and last dates reported, the number of field reports per
season, the number of individuals per season, the total number of reports,
and the total number of individuals. Paul also includes a very handy
color-coded chart showing each species abundance per season. Paul compares
the birds in seen in 2016 to those seen in 2015. Notable absences in 2016
include birds Eastern Whip-poor-will and Ferruginous Hawk.

*Monarchs and Pollinators: The Need For Habitat Restoration *
*Free Presentation by Dr. Chip Taylor of Monarch Watch *
Sat. March 4, 2017, 2:00 p.m.
Broken Arrow High School - Media Center
1901 E. Albany St. Broken Arrow, OK

Dr. Chip Taylor is Founder & Director of Monarch Watch; Professor
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at the University of Kansas,
Lawrence.

See www.tulsaaudubon.org for more info and a mao tot he Borken Arrow High
School Media Center.

*Helmerich Park Hearing Wed. March 1st 5:00 p.m*.
As you have likely heard on the news the City is contemplating selling a
portion of Helmerich Park for retail development, specifically an REI
store. There are many things wrong with this proposal. It was started in
the Bartlett administration as a ultra-sweetheart deal with a Dallas
developer and done in secret to avoid public input. Once word of this got
out many citizens came forward to oppose it, and a lawsuit was filed (which
is still in court), led by ex-mayor Terry Young. To its credit, the Bynum
administration has sought to bring this possible transaction into the light
and is seeking the public's input.

Unfortunately, the revised proposal still involves selling part of the
park. For much more information on this issue, see:

https://www.facebook.com/SaveHelmerichPark

Tulsa Audubon strongly opposes the sale of any city parkland. One of
Tulsa's "crown jewels" is the east bank of the Arkansas River, which is a
continuous stretch of green space. Besides the human value, Helmerich Park
is a key part of this Arkansas River green space that provides valuable
habitat for all kinds of wildlife. Helmerich Park is where we hold our
annual Eagle Days, to observe Bald Eagles along the Arkansas River.

The next City Council meeting where this will likely be voted on is
scheduled for Wednesday, March 1st at 5:00 p.m. at the Tulsa City Hall, One
Technology Center. We encourage everyone to be present and consider adding
your voice to support the preservation of the park. Be sure to also contact
your counselor before the meeting to share your concern.

Join us on Facebook!