Date: 3/1/17 12:53 pm
From: Sandra Mitchell <kittydoc2...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: Owl again
Hi-
I just would like to point out that the fact that people are seeing this
bird hunt during the daytime IS exactly what is concerning me. As you
point out, this species is primarily a nocturnal animal. If it is being
forced to hunt outside of it's normal hunting times, I am *very* concerned
that it is not obtaining much prey. Just as if I saw a Red tailed hawk
take a flying squirrel off my feeder at midnight -- it would tell me
"something ain't right here".
I think we need to look at unusual bird activity as a symptom that there
may be a problem. I don't want to jump into the debate over respecting the
bird's space - that has been well debated and I have my own opinions. I
just want to point out that when we see something deviating form an
expected pattern, it isn't necessarily something to be comforted by - it
is more likely a sign of a problem.
The dense snowpack DOES cause a problem for rodent-eating animals, they
have the opportunity to hide more readily under the snowpack. My sense is
that this bird probably is experiencing some degree of hunger stress and
that SHOULD play a role in what we consider "ethical" behaviour.
Just my 2 cents, on sale for a penny -- take it or leave it, but I feel
that point has been overlooked.
-Sandra