Date: 3/1/17 11:14 am
From: Jim Felley <jdfelley...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Lincoln Monument birds, 3/1
A lunchtime walk around the Tidal Basin and Constitution Gardens produced a highlight of 3 Fox sparrows at the DC Veteran's Memorial. They were feeding under the shrubs and trees west of the memorial, with a flock of Juncos. There was also a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in the area.
The Tidal Basin was fairly empty, other than a small group of Lesser Scaup near the Jefferson Memorial.
The DC Veterans' Memorial had a lot of birds other than the sparrows, including flocks of Robins, Starlings and Common Grackles, the aforementioned Dark-eyed juncos, Carolina chickadees, and Tufted titmice.
Constitution Gardens pond is filled with Northern Shovellers, over 30 in fact. This may be the most shovellers I've ever seen in one place (and I used to bird in SW Louisiana!). Also at the pond were the usual Mallards and Canada geese, some Double-crested cormorants, two pair of American Wigeon and the male Gadwall that seems to have spent the whole winter there.

Jim

Jim Felley
Gaithersburg, MD