Date: 3/1/17 10:05 am
From: Mark J. Greenfield <markgreenfield...>
Subject: [obol] Lost Lagoon Farm Bird List for February 15-28
Below is our bird list for Lost Lagoon Farm, Gillihan Road, Sauvie Island for the second half of February, 2017. We identified 52 species - the most so far in 2017 for a single period - aided by one day when probably 150+ gulls appeared on the adjoining farm property, including some species I haven’t seen in a while. Gulls have been one of my projects for this year - working hard to learn the distinguishing features of some similar species. My wife identified the turkey vulture — I did not see it — but I believe one may have been hanging around the island this winter. As to migrants, none yet, but I anticipate seeing swallows sometime very soon. They were here at this time last year.

I saw a variety of duck species, but the numbers are way down from last winter. I typically see 50-100 pintails across the road from our driveway, with perhaps a dozen mallards and maybe several green winged teals. Sometimes wigeons and shovelers are there. Last year those numbers were much, much higher for all of these species, and last year I also saw ring-necked ducks. None this winter. I see the mergansers and wood ducks on our pond.

Double-crested cormorant
Trumpeter swan (six flying over)
Sandhill crane (just one)
Canada goose (in small numbers)
Cackling goose (also in small numbers compared to earlier counting periods)
Wood duck
Mallard
Northern pintail
American wigeon