Date: 2/28/17 5:41 pm
From: Timothy Huizenga <thuizenga...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waterfowl bonanza - Whiteside County
Today I had the pleasure to see an abundance and diversity of waterfowl at Lock and Dam 13 (actually most of the birds were near the spur road to the dam off of Rt 84). I saw over 500 American White Pelicans and hundreds of ring necked ducks and lesser and greater scaup, I also saw large numbers of canvasbacks, northern pintail, bufflehead, northern shoveler and gadwall. I saw smaller numbers of green winged teal, pied billed grebe, redheads, american wigeon, common goldeneye, hooded merganser, and common merganser. I saw 2 tundra swans up close and a flock of about 18 swans that were too distant to identify by species. When scanning with my binoculars, I could see several thousand ducks that were too far away to identify.
[On the Iowa side of the river, at Green Island, I found about 500 greater white fronted geese and 8 snow geese, as well as a merlin.]

Tim Huizenga
Cook

Posted by: Timothy Huizenga <thuizenga...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)