Date: 2/28/17 3:07 pm
From: Tony Moline <tonymoline...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Probable black headed grosbeak Dubuque
I stopped to watch the feeders at Swiss Valley nature center in Dubuque this afternoon and was surprised to see a grosbeak come to one of the platform feeders. It had a bold white eyebrow and orange tones in the breast. Unfortunately I had left my camera in the car thinking I would not see anything at the feeders I would need to justify. I took a quick photo with my phone (which later would reveal the bird with it's head down, great) and ran out to my car to grab my camera as quickly as I could. When I returned the bird was gone. I waited another hour and the bird did not return. The bird was definitely a grosbeak and my first impression was black-headed female but without a photo I have not totally ruled out female rose breasted which would be almost more crazy.
I plan to follow up tomorrow.

Tony Moline
Dubuque